Sunday, December 17, 2006

Detective Inspector Lovey





After I posted “Surfaces” I was asked about Detective Inspector Lovey. Well, here he is.

Lovey earned his rank and title through diligent effort, working his way up from a scrawny, starving stray kitten with an almost hairless tail to the magnificent fully-furred specimen you see today.

It wasn’t easy for him to find time in his busy schedule to sharpen his inspecting skills to their current high level. His constitution requires him to sleep at least 20 hours out of 24, which leaves little time for inspecting or anything else, especially considering that during his waking hours he must eat and take a nap occasionally.

Within his screened domain he inspects not only mysterious sounds under surfaces, but also the movements of pool water, the jungle-like recesses of fern beds, the interiors of potted plants (especially those with “Do Not Disturb” signs), the depths of rainwater reservoirs (requiring him to insert his entire head into a metal pitcher), and above all, lizards and frogs.

Lovey lives in Now. I’m not sure that human evolution has done me any favors. When I can’t sleep at night, I think of Lovey. On the other hand, I can’t teach him anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment