Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Dreams Breaking Through

I’ve been reading “VALIS”, by Philip K. Dick, a writer whose books I’d never read until a few weeks ago. He is often described as insane but brilliant. I won’t go into any of that now, except to say that “VALIS” is supposed to be a kind of autobiographical account of his madness. I find it completely absorbing and very well written.

"VALIS" often touches on subjects that I’ve discussed in this blog, including the writings of schizophrenics. I was startled when I read the particular quotation I’ll give below because it relates so closely to my experiences of being overwhelmed by a dream world while awake. “My Strangest Dream Experiences”

From “VALIS:

It has been said of dreams that they are a “controlled psychosis,” or, put another way, a psychosis is a dream breaking through during waking hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment